A broadcast journalist who has worked for six BBC radio stations in freelance/casual capacities, and a number of major commercial radio groups. I am an experienced bulletin reader and reporter who is looking to make the next step in their career. I am a creative package and feature maker, I’m also an internet journalist and a content producer. I have a long term commitment to establishing myself in the BBC as a versatile, able, and legally competent broadcast journalist.
• Working well with colleagues under pressure in busy newsrooms to tight deadlines.
• Creative thinking: making imaginative, memorable packages and features.
• Tight cue-writing that gets to the point.
• Adaptable voice that sounds at home from 5 live to Heart, the Hit Music Network and Kerrang!
• Strong knowledge of UK news agenda.
• Capable and confident with technology including many editing/newsroom systems.
August 2011- present Broadcast Journalist (casual shifts) BBC Radio Manchester, BBC Radio Cumbria, BBC Radio
• Primarily on reporting shifts covering a wide range of topics targeted for maximum relevance to the communities that we serve as BBC Journalists.
• Writing targeted and concise copy for inclusion in bulletins and programmes.
• Using my contacts developed in the Northwest to generate exciting, relevant and original content.
• Acting as cover newsreader due to staff illness or absence.
August 2006 Broadcast Journalist (1 month fixed term contract) BBC Radio Lancashire
• I worked as reporter across the Ted Robbins, Brett Davison, John Gillmore and Paul O’Gorman programmes.
• I produced inventive and original packages designed to engage and inform the BBC Radio Lancashire audience.
• I received praise on my flexibility, attention to detail, time management and team-working skills, as well as my technical and journalistic ability.
2006 – 2008 Broadcast Journalist/Newsreader for UTV Radio, The Local Radio Company, CN Radio
• Operating in a freelance capacity, in both newsreading and reporting capacities. I demonstrated my commitment to being adaptable by having a can-do attitude and acting on feedback received to improve the quality of my work and produce content that was fresh and legally sound.
2004 Head of News for Chorley and Leyland Local Radio (RSL)
2004 Trafficlink Travel Reporter/Editor for BBC and ILR stations in the Northwest of England. Stations: BBC Radio Manchester, Lancashire, Cumbria, Merseyside.
2004 NORMAN News Broadcast Journalist
2000 – 2003 Head of News and Station Manager for JAM1575AM
Examples of News Pieces I’ve produced: Regal Cinema Closure, Oxford Road Waterworks (package), Suicides on Railways increasing, Brain Drain as Graduates Leave Cumbria (feature, voicepiece, live OB), and Anti-smoking protests in Merseyside (as-live).
Programmes I have worked on: Adrian Goldberg, Ed Doolan (BBC WM), Ian Timms (BBC Cumbria), Beswick at Breakfast (BBC Radio Manchester), Ted Robbins, Tony Livesey, John Gilmore (BBC Radio Lancashire), Andy Hibbert, Dan Roach (Dune FM), Talat Awan (BBC Radio Lancashire and Manchester)
2011 Researcher (unpaid): Have worked with Talat Farooq Awan on a documentary called Groomed: Exposed for Sex
which was broadcast on BBC Three. I provided leads for interviews and acted in a consultative capacity.
2007 Runner: Worked as a runner on The Real Deal with David Dickinson.
Internships/Work Experience Placements
Viking FM 2004 BBC WM 2003, 2004 BBC Radio Nottingham 2004 (Newsroom as Trainee Reporter)
Skills and training
BBC Training History
ENPS and Radioman/Jutel QuickEdit Pro trained.
All mandatory courses completed via Gateway including Legal Online.
Non-BBC Training History
Burli, Glam, Dalet, NewsBoss, Adobe Audition, Photoshop, Gusto, Airwave, Audacity, CoolEdit Pro. Broadcast Equipment: Flashmic,
Nagra, Marantz, Sonifex, XLR Microphones.
Social Media/Internet: Facebook, Twitter, Googleplus, Diggit, LinkedIn, Skype, Podcasts
2000 – 2003 BSc (Hons) Psychology, 2nd class, University of Hull
BPS accredited course in Psychology.
2004 – 2005 PgDip in Radio Journalism, Nottingham Trent University
BJTC Accredited course in Radio Journalism
Full driving license and audio available upon request.